Make sure that “Voice Chat Enabled” is turned is set to “On”. How to do so:
Escape > Settings > Audio > Voice Chat Enabled > On
N is the default Push to Talk. You can edit it by doing the following:
Esc > Settings > Controls > Keyboard & Mouse > Key Mapping > Scroll Down to “ONLINE GAMEPLAY” and Push to Talk is the first option.
N – Push to talk (edit push to talk setting in-game to change)
L Alt/ Mouse scroll click – Toggle VoIP range (Esc > Settings > Controls > Keyboard & Mouse > Key Mapping > Scroll Down to “ACTIVITIES” and Free Look)
Before entering the server, you will be given the option to select a character or create a new one. Players can create up to 10 characters.
Selecting Create New will prompt you to choose a first and last name before continuing. You can change your name at City Hall in Saint Denis.
After naming your character, you can select their name in your load-in menu and join the server. This may take a few minutes, just relax until you’re fully loaded in.
Once loaded into the creator, press the left or right arrow to select the figure you prefer. Note: this selection will affect which clothing options you have to choose from before entering the server.
Follow on-screen directions to make changes to your appearance including height, physique, facial features, and hair.
Make sure to select an outfit in the clothing section before completing your character. Clothing can be purchased later at tailor shops for a fee.
When you’re happy with your appearance, select Complete. You will be spawned into Valentine with $100 in your wallet. Don’t spend it all in one place!
In addition to the Red Dead Redemption controls, which can be found in the game menus, our server utilizes two types of player input: Hotkeys and Chat Commands.
Hotkeys are either pressed or held. Chat Commands are entered into player chat:
- Press T to open player chat
- Type /commandname into chat
- Press enter
B – Inventory (right click on items to use)
– Escape to close
L – Player Menu (Identity, Give Money, Skills, Horse, Ask Open
– Backspace to close
J – RP Radial Menu (press and hold) – This allows you to remove/ alter clothing, set walking stance, do various emotes, and dances.
M – Map
U – Point
Q – Take cover
H – Whistle for horse
N – Push to talk (edit push to talk setting in-game to change)
L Alt / Mouse Scroll Click – Toggle VoIP range (L Alt is Free Look Key in RDR2 Controls)
T – Open player chat to input chat commands
G – Pet horse
Z – Rag Doll
Ctrl – Slow your horse down
Ctrl + S – Back horse up
Shift – Sprint / horse speed up
i – Chair/bench/bed interaction list (Walk up to a chair and press i for list of possible interactions. Use i menu again when ready to end scenario.)
/me [action] – indicates in-character action; displayed over character’s head.
EXAMPLE: /me tips hat
/scenes – leave scene clue or poster*. Follow UI (Distance indicates how far away the clue will be visible to players.) Also used to delete scenes (Use targeting bubble to hover over the scene you want to delete until “Delete” prompt displays).
*To place a poster:
1) Submit artwork in an #poster-request. Max size: 565x800px File Type: .png
2) You’ll be provided with an image name to use once the image is implemented (usually by next server restart).
/hijack - Toggles hijack on/off.
On to hijack other players horse/vehicle (by default on login).
Off to ride with other players without attacking and stealing their horse/carriage.
/emotes – List emotes.
/e [emote name] – Initiate emote. EXAMPLE: /e sitground1
/e c – Cancel current emote.
/e handsup – raise hands above head.
/sentence – checks time left on jail sentence.
/hud – Toggle hud.
F8 “hud” – turn hud back on.
/reticle – Toggles reticle on/off. On to have reticle show when you aim. Off to have reticle only show for animals and NPCs. Toggle setting will be saved to your RedM client cache, clearing cache will reset setting.
/bug – Opens up in-game bug report system
/players – Brings up player ID for 5 seconds above their head and yours. This can help in filing support tickets.
/dice [number of dice you want to roll] – Random dice roll appears above your character (this is until we can implement a gambling mechanic)
/mu – an accessibility tool to represent character speech
- – /mu w – text presents a text box above the character labeled as whisper
- – /mu s – say
- – /mu t – talk
- – /mu sh – shout
- – /mu y – yell
/clearinteraction – ends whatever interaction or emote you are doing.
/move [value] (between 0.2 to 1.15) – Sets walking speed
/move clear – resets walking speed back to normal
Found at bottom left corner of screen.
Health: See a doctor.
Stamina: Slow down and take a rest.
Hunger: Rustle some grub.
Thirst: Wet your whistle.
VoIP: Yellow when speaking. Meter indicates VoIP distance.
Tailors – Purchase clothing and accessories.
City Hall – You can change your character’s name.
Barbers – Update hair and facial features.
General Store – Provides many essentials for frontiersfolk. Inventory replenished hourly.
Butchers – Bring animal carcasses/hides (hunting).
Gunsmiths – Purchase weapons and ammo. Stock is location dependent. Inventory replenished hourly.
Banks – Make withdrawals/deposits, transfer funds to another player.
Stables– Purchase horses, equipment, and care items. Hire a carriage and driver for relaxing travel. Purchase/rent and store personal carriages/wagons.
Boat Launches – Purchase/rent and store boats.
Sheriff Stations – Pick up and claim bounties (see bulletin boards).
Saloons – Purchase drinks, snacks, and smokes. May also provide barber and hotel services. Stock replenished hourly.
Train Stations/Post Offices – Pay off bounties, send and receive telegrams.
Doctor’s Office – Purchase tonics that can be carried in inventory to restore health (stock replenished hourly). Doctor’s visits restore complete health. Can choose to respawn here after losing consciousness.
Bait and Tackle Shop – Purchase fishing rod and lures; sell fish.
Miner’s Tools – Purchase mining equipment.
Kitchens (public and private) – Cook some food.
Forges – Process ore, blacksmith stuff.
Hotels – Rent a room to store items and save outfits.
In addition to the Rules and Guidelines, please take note of the features available to support your character’s story in the event of misfortune.
- When knocked unconscious, you’ll be unable to move or talk (you’re unconscious) for at least 2 minutes.
- /me [text description] is available as a roleplay mechanic to communicate bodily responses (e.g. fading pulse, coughs, not breathing).
- If you wish to perma, you can use /me to indicate “no pulse.”
- After the required time elapses, you have the options to either
- Wake Up, which will revive you at your location with nearly depleted health or
- Respawn at Nearest Doctor, which will teleport you to a doctor’s office before reviving you.
- When deciding which action to take, you should always factor in the circumstances causing you to go uncon, ongoing RP happening around you or to you, and the injuries you may have sustained.
- Using either option to escape capture, rejoin a gunfight, or otherwise gain an RP advantage, will be considered power gaming. These options can however be utilized as a safety feature if you need to disengage from a situation you deem unsafe for you as a player (See Also: GUIDE: Consent and Safety).
- If rendered unconscious by another PC – see Frontier Justice for information on placing bounties.
Are you an expert marksman? You can hunt game and sell it to a butcher to make your living.
- Skin your kills and sell the meat at a butcher (marked on map).
- Use meat in cooking recipes.
- Improve your skinning skill for increased returns.
Please note that the butcher only allows you to sell them cuts of meat. Selling pelts will be an option in a future update.
- Hunting Knife
- Firearm and Ammo or Bow and Arrows
It takes skill, patience, and deep knowledge to catch the big one. An experienced guide could earn a lucrative living.
- Grab a pole and bait at the bait and tackle shop (marked on map), then head to your favorite fishin’ hole.
- Note that the type/quality of your bait will affect the size/difficulty of your catch.
- Once you get a bite, aim your rod toward the hooked fish until it stops splashing.
- Make sure that the fish is calm before you try to reel it in.
- Flawless technique is vital! Hire an expert if you need a lesson.
- Sell your catch back to the bait and tackle shop or utilize your cooking skill to craft a meal.
- Fishing Rod
- Bait or lure
Equip Rod: Right-click rod in inventory and select “equip”. Hold tab to open equipment radial, R to switch to items, and select pole.
Equip Bait: While the rod is equipped and in hand, hit B, right-click the bait in inventory and select “use”.
Casting: Right-click to ready the rod, left-click to cast.
- Gather ingredients to craft meals to eat or sell.
- Increase your cooking skill to unlock additional recipes.
- Private Cooking Stations are available in kitchens at purchasable properties/businesses.
- Public Cooking Stations are marked on the map with a campfire icon.
- See Cooking Stations for recipes.
There’s gold in them there rivers and streams!
- Purchase a gold-panning pan from General Stores.
- Use it while standing in water.
- Blacksmiths can use the gold you gather to craft ingots and bars.
- Higher skill level will increase returns.
- Gold Pan
It’s backbreaking labor but there’s a good honest living to be made in the mines.
- Purchase a pickaxe and buy/sell ore/ingot at Miner’s Tools outside Tumbleweed.
- Mines are marked on the map.
- Novice miners can gather Iron in the mines.
- Increase mining skill to unlock additional ores available to gather.
- Novice blacksmiths can craft iron ingot from iron ore.
- Gain blacksmithing experience to unlock additional recipes like metal ingots and bars; brass casings, shotgun slugs, and buckshot.
- Metal bars and ingots can be sold at Miner’s Tools and used in crafting.
- See forge for recipes.
- Forges can be found outside most stables.
If you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty, you can hunt down bounties placed by your fellow frontiers-folk and local law enforcement.
- Bounties are chosen at bulletin boards outside Sheriff’s Stations as marked on the map.
- You can choose between NPC bounties and Civilian bounties.
- If you are attacked and rendered unconscious by another civilian, you can place a bounty on your attacker by visiting a bounty board.
- If you have a bounty on your head, you will be unable to access the bounty board.
- Bounties should be claimed either to the Sheriff directly, or to the bounty board in the jurisdiction from which you took the bounty.
Read more in depth about bounty hunting, the justice system, and federal laws in Frontier Justice.
Horses are persistent and have bonding, so taking good care of your horse is a must if you plan to travel the long roads on your lonesome.
Your horse will only come to you if you whistle while in range of it. If you want a different horse, put your current horse up in a stable and bring out a different horse while there! Additionally, if you do not put your horse in a stable, it will remain out, even after you log off.
There are three train systems that traverse the map: Eastern (red), Central Union (blue), and Southwestern (green) as shown above.
Train stations are marked as big circles on the train tracks on the map as shown below.
You can press E to board the train and to find a seat. Press F to get out of your seat.
You can also hop on the train by foot jumping on and from your mount.
You can hop on the St. Denis trolley and give your feet a rest while you travel through the city.
- Press E when near the Trolley to board it. You can find a seat and press E to sit down. Press F to leave your seat.
You can hire a carriage with a driver at most stables (see wheel icon on the map). Follow the prompts on screen to set your destination and speed at which you want your driver to go and you’ll be on your way!
A variety of carriages are available for purchase and rental at many stables across the map. These are indicated with a wagon wheel icon. Small boats are also available at launches marked with canoe icons.
- Storage can be accessed via the L menu once your boat or carriage is taken out of storage.
- To access another person’s storage, hit L, “Ask to Open Conveyance Storage.”
- The vehicle’s owner will be prompted to accept or deny your request.
- Rentals remain accessible as long as you’re connected to the server.
- Note that not all types of carriages/boast are available at all locations currently.
The Horse Menu is accessed by pressing “L” on your keyboard and arrowing down to “Horse”.
From there you can add or remove things from the horse’s satchel, save and put on outfits, and set your horse as your main horse.
You can only use this menu if your horse is out and nearby.
Selecting And Fitting Your Horse
- In order to get your horse fitted with a saddle and other tack, you need to select it as your main horse first by doing the above.
- You can get your horse kitted out at any stable (Horseshoe icon).
You can purchase various items at the general store to help keep your horse happy, healthy, and stunning. You can access the items and use them from your satchel (pressing B on your keyboard).
- Horse brush – Use this to brush your horse and remove dirt, mud, blood, etc.
- Hay – Increases bonding
- Sugar Cube – Increases bonding
- Peppermint – Increases bonding
- Horse Cream – Increases bonding
- Horse Injection – Increases bonding
Purchase, rent and sell back horses, buy horse tack, and edit your horse’s appearance.
- Buy, rent, and sell (owned) horses (can only sell back horse to the stable it was purchased)
- Purchase saddles, saddlebags, stirrups, saddle horns, blankets, and bedrolls
- Purchase horse accessories like masks and bridals
- Edit Horse manes and tails
- In order to get your horse fitted with a saddle and tack, you need to have your horse out and standing in the stable. You need to select it as your main horse first as explained above in Horse Menu.
Certain tasks done with your horse will increase your bonding and progress the horse’s overall acceleration, speed, stamina, and health. It will also increase the radius in which the horse will come to you when you whistle for it. Currently, the following actions increase horse bonding:
- Feeding peppermint, hay, and sugar cube
- Applying horse cream
- Using horse injection
- To send a new telegram, select a recipient from your Mail Directory, or add a new listing. Then select “Send Telegram”
- To add a new listing, be sure you have the recipient’s PO box (found on their ID).
- Open the Post Office Menu at the mail clerk.
- Select Post Office > Mail Directory > Add
- Type “PO 12345” (use recipient’s PO number).
- To read incoming telegrams select Post Office > Telegrams
- Telegram body displays at the bottom of the Telegrams Menu
- Replies can be sent directly to sender by pressing Enter
If your character is knocked unconscious by another, you can choose to place a bounty on them after you respawn.
- Bounties are placed at post offices, as marked on the map.
- After respawning, the most recent character to knock you unconscious will be listed on the bounty board.
- You will determine the bounty amount. Be aware that the price will come from your pockets, not your bank.
- Bounties placed by uncon’d civilians and NPC’s will be for “Mayhem” or “Assault” if processed by a lawmen, dependent on bounty amount. (See also Federal Laws)
If there’s a bounty out on you, you will be unable to access the bounty board.
If your character isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty, you can hunt down bounties placed by your fellow frontier folk and local law enforcement.
Note: Aspiring bounty hunters must be free of any bounties on their own heads.
- Civilian bounties can be placed by lawmen, civilians who have been knocked unconscious by other civilians, and NPCs who witness a crime.
- Bounty posters will include your first and last name.
- Bounties placed by uncon’d civilians and NPC’s will be for “Mayhem” or “Assault” if processed by a lawmen, dependent on bounty amount. (See also Federal Laws)
- After selecting an available Civilian bounty from the bounty board, the target’s last known location will be placed on the map for 30 minutes.
- Captured bounty targets must be hog-tied and returned to the Sheriff’s Office you originally took out the bounty at.
- If a Sheriff is on duty, you must return the target to them and they will pay you.
- If no Sheriff is on duty, hog tie your bounty target and carry them up to the bounty board, where you’ll be able to turn them in. You will receive your reward and they will be jailed and fined automatically.
- There are 3 bounties available at each board every 3 hours.
- The general location of NPC bounties will be marked on your map after the bounty is selected.
- Seek out the target and either capture or kill. In either case, they must be returned to the same bounty board from which you selected the job.
- Binoculars allow you to mark your bounty target.
- Once close enough to the target, the bounty can be shared with your group via the player menu (L).
- Bounties must be hog tied and carried up to the board in order to claim.
- Returning a target alive returns full reward, dead returns about 60%.
- When in range of your bounty target, the bounty can be shared with nearby characters.
- This allows all to see bounty target (to avoid accidentally killing) AND to turn the bounty in.
- If killed while completing the bounty, you will be ineligible to turn it in.
If you’re wanted and you have the funds, you can pay off your bounty to avoid trouble with the law.
Bounties can be paid off at the train station clerks.
- Walk up to clerk and target by holding right mouse button
- Follow onscreen prompt to select “pay bounty”
- Select the bounty you want to pay
Acts of a criminal nature will be assessed and the person responsible for those acts will be convicted and sentenced by the lawmen overseeing the capture and detainment of such criminals. If such acts took place within a Sheriff’s jurisdiction, theirs will be the final determination.
Conviction and Sentencing is determined based on the following guidelines, with fines and jail time subject to the discretion of the overseeing law official. [1 Day in IC = 1 minute OOC].
If a person cannot pay their fine (not because they don’t want to, but because they don’t have the funds in their pockets), then their fine will be converted to time and added to their sentence at a rate of 2 days per $100.
Civilian Bounties: Characters with bounties on the board face one of two charges, dependent on the price of the bounty:
- Assault: If bounty is $500 or less, the character will be charged with assault. The charge will be multiplied for each $100. So, for a $350 bounty, the character will be charged with Assault x3.
- Mayhem: If bounty is greater than $500, the character will be charged with mayhem. The charge will me multiplied for each $500. So for a $1750 bounty, the character will be charged with Mayhem x3.
Crimes Against Peace Officers: Will be sentenced at a rate of 2x charges
In coordination with the State of Lemoyne, the Saint Denis Police Department enforces the following ordinances in addition to the Federal Laws of these lands. Refusal to comply with ordinance or pay citation will result in detainment until compliance and payment are achieved.
Citations: $25-$250 per officer discretion.
Concealed Carry: Weapons must be carried in hip holster, or stored on horse. Guns too large for hip holster and visible on citizen’s backs will be confiscated in addition to a citation.
1) All horses are to be hitched or stabled.
2) Carriages should never be left driverless.
3) A controlled lope/canter is the maximum gait permitted on city streets.
4) Sidewalks are for people, not horses.
Masks and Face Coverings: Facial features including eyes, nose, and mouth should be visible when in the city.
Fine: $10 – $100
Jail Time: 12 days or less
Disorderly Conduct – Willfully and unlawfully disturbs the peace of another person(s).
Battery – Wanton and unlawful physical contact with another person which is unwelcome. Aggressor does not use a weapon or cause great bodily harm.
Assault – Intention to commit battery with a weapon in a manner unlikely to cause great bodily harm. [If player bounty is <= $500 | Assault multiplied per $100]
Trespassing – Unknowingly arrives on private property and remains after deed or claim is proven and told to leave.
Sudden Snatching – Intention to take money, property, and/or belongings from the victim’s person without detection or, upon detection, flees the scene.
Fine: $500 maximum
Jail Time: 24 days or less
Petty Theft – Knowingly and unlawfully takes money, property, and/or belongings valued $200 or less with intent to deprive owner indefinitely.
Bribery – Offers a public servant or official money, services, favors, or gratuities with the intent of personal gain or benefit.
Abduction – Taking away a person by persuasion, by fraud, or by open force or violence.
Aggravated Assault – Intention to commit battery with a weapon and/or in a manner likely to cause great bodily harm.
Manslaughter – Takes the life of another person without malice or intent, in a fashion that a reasonable person would consider accidental and without carelessness. Not to be applied in cases of self defense where a person uses force to defend themselves, another person, or their property from substantial harm or death.
Mayhem – Causes injury to another person with malice or intent to cause harm/pain, so as to render them defenseless (e.g. severing an appendage). [If player bounty > $500 | Mayhem multiplied per $500]
Fraud – Makes an agreement or presents themselves as someone else with the intent of personal gain or benefit, where a reasonable person would believe them to be a liar or cheater.
Escaping Custody – Leaves legal custody (i.e. you’re detained, cuffed, jailed, or serving a sentence) before sentence is complete. [Adds $250 for each original charge. May exceed maximum.]
Illegal Manufacturing – No person may possess equipment or material designed for or used in manufacturing an illicit substance (moonshine, snake oil, etc).
Illegal Distribution – The intention to sell or distribute an illicit substance (moonshine, snake oil, etc) for personal benefit or monetary gain.
Fine: $2000 maximum
Jail Time: 10 days to life
Sheriff may set bounty on fugitives facing a serious felony charges(s).
Greater Theft – Knowingly and unlawfully takes money, property, and/or belongings valued $200 or more with intent to deprive owner indefinitely.
Robbery – While committing Petty or Greater Theft, forcibly takes such items from another person through physical force or fear of force.
Theft of Livestock – Unlawfully takes or kills livestock with intent to deprive owner of such stock longer than 15 days.
Arson – Destroys or attempts to destroy any property, structure, or vegetation by mean of fire with malice or intent to deprive owner.
Murder in the Second Degree – Takes the life of another person without malice, intent, or forethought, in which circumstances a reasonable person would believe involved carelessness, or where they are overcome by the heat of passion.
Murder in the First Degree – Takes the life of another person with malice, intent, or forethought.
Attempted Murder – Attempts to commit Murder in the First Degree but does not succeed in killing the targeted person.
Harboring a Fugitive – Knowingly harbors or assists a fugitive from justice, or knowingly conspires in the commission of a major felony, or helps a fugitive escape lawful incarceration or imprisonment.
If serving a sentence of 60 days or longer (not Life) your character has two options:
1. Plead guilty and server you sentence. Easy.
2. Plead not guilty and open a Trial Request Ticket.
Regardless of their plea, they will serve their sentence at the time its issued. A court date will be scheduled in the Trial Request Ticket. In the event of a not-guilty verdict, your character’s record will be expunged, and repayment/damages will be determined by the judge.
Pretty Info-graphic Incoming!
If facing a life sentence, your character has two options:
1. Plead Guilty.
2. Plead Not Guilty.
In the ticket, you will decide on the outcome you wish to pursue. If pleading guilty, your options are:
1. Plead Guilty and choose a life sentence in Sisika. A hearing before the judge to review the charges and sentence will be scheduled. (Character will remain in Sisika permanently with no opportunity for escape or parole.)
2. Plead Guilty and choose Execution. A hearing before the judge to review the charges and sentence will be scheduled. (Death by firing squad, permas character.)
3. Plead Guilty and choose to negotiate a plea deal and release conditions. A hearing before the judge to review the charges and release conditions will be scheduled.
4. Plead Not Guilty. A full trial will be scheduled.
If pleading not guilty, a date will be scheduled to argue your case before a judge. There are two possible outcomes to this trial:
1. The judge finds your character not guilty. Your character will be released from Sisika, and your record expunged.
2. The judge finds your character guilty. Death or life behind bars will be determined in advance via the trial ticket, and the sentence will be read at the trial’s conclusion. NOTE: If found guilty by trial, there will be not option for release conditions.
- It is the player’s responsibility to open a Trial Request Ticket when their character is given a sentence 60 days or longer.
- Life sentences are determined at the time charges are issued, and must be unanimously agreed on by 3 separate lawmen OR 2 lawmen and 1 honorable and impartial citizen. Discussing the possibility of a life sentence must be done in front of the accused so they can participate.
- The Defendant has the option to plead Not Guilty on all crimes that result in more than a “60 day” sentence.
- If a Defendant is pleading Not Guilty or is at risk of a Life Sentence, the AG will be notified by the arresting Law officer or Marshal’s service IC and the accused player must open a Trial Request Ticket.
- If facing a sentence of 60 days or more (NOT life), there are two options a player can choose from:
- Plead Guilty and serve the sentence. No Trial Request Ticket needed.
- Plead Not Guilty. Your sentence will be served at the time issued, however you can then open a Trial Request Ticket to arrange a court date.
- A verdict of innocence will result in expungement of your criminal record and recompense at the judge’s discretion.
- If facing a life sentence there are four options a player can choose from.
- Plead Guilty and choose life behind bars at Sisika. A hearing before the judge to review the charges and sentence will be scheduled. (Character will remain in Sisika permanently with no opportunity for escape or parole.)
- Plead Guilty and choose to face a firing squad (death penalty). A hearing before the judge to review the charges and sentence will be scheduled. (Death by firing squad, permas character.)
- Plead Guilty and choose to negotiate a plea deal and release conditions. A hearing before the judge to review the charges and release conditions will be scheduled.
- Plead Not Guilty and argue your innocence before a judge. A full trial will be scheduled.
- A verdict of innocence will result in immediate release, with erasure of record and repayment of fines determined by the judge.
- A verdict of guilt will result in a life or death sentence only; no plea agreement or release conditions will be offered.
- When a Trial Request Ticket is opened by the player, the applicable required roles will be invited to the ticket. A handshake agreement must be made with the player and staff in this ticket.
- The ticket will be used for scheduling and documentation and may also be used to show the IC plea agreements that have been submitted IC, if applicable.
- Once the trial has been held, if there are parole conditions or next steps, the trial ticket will remain open until the sentence has been served. If there are no additional next steps, the ticket will be closed and archived.
- If the Defendant chooses to face a firing squad, the ticket will be used to organize that event.
- All criminal trials will be held on Discord. Channel name will be provided.
- For Civil Disputes, the Sheriff should be the first line of mediation between both parties. Parties will arrange for their dispute to be mediated by the Sheriff of that jurisdiction.
- If the Sheriff cannot be reached, or one party wishes to escalate the complaint after a Sheriff renders a verdict, they may seek resolution from a Circuit Judge.
- Appeals can be requested by sending a telegram to the Attorney General (which can be acquired IC) OR by attending a public Circuit Court event (see #justice-events in Discord).
- There will be select days and times where a Circuit Judge will be available to hear civil hearings. IC notifications will be present. (I.e. posters)
Step 1: Identify Your Desired Jurisdiction
You will be responsible for maintaining the peace and upholding the law within the city limits of your jurisdiction. To this end, you will be able to hire a deputy, form posses, post bounties, and even establish a few laws of your own. Paying deputies and sentencing bounty targets returned to your jurisdiction also falls to you. For full details about Sheriff’s duties see the Sheriff’s SOP.
Towns with Sheriff’s departments include Valentine, Strawberry, Rhodes, and Blackwater.
Step 2: Identify Your Platform
You’ll need to convince voters that you’re the person for the job! Are you a law and order candidate with former law enforcement experience to back your claim? Are you a successful entrepreneur promising increased prosperity and wealth? Is the current Sheriff a villainous thief while you happen to be an upstanding member of society?
Take time to think about why you matter to the town you want to run, and maybe even why that town matters to you.
Step 3: Canvas
Your application to run for sheriff will require 5 “signatures.” This means that you will need to speak with 5 characters in-game about your desired jurisdiction and platform. A verbal agreement to “sign” your petition to hold an election constitutes one signature. (Be sure to document the family and given names of each signee to ensure your application is accurate.)
IMPORTANT: 1 character per player can sign. Characters are limited to signing 1 petition per town each election. (In other words, Harriet Beaver can sign my petition to run in Valentine, as well as Willa Cassidy’s petition to run in Rhodes. Madam Beaver cannot however sign any additional petitions for candidates in either Valentine or Rhodes once signing mine and Ms. Cassidy’s. Harriet Beaver’s player may not use any other characters to sign petitions Beaver has already signed. After the election is held, she is once again free to sign petitions for any new candidates she wants.)
Step 4: Apply
You should now have all the info and RP groundwork needed to submit your petition to hold an election.
Once submitted, Admin will review your platform for feasibility (Is it possible either within the constraints of server mechanics and/or through RP to do the things you want to do?). Additionally, Admin will reach out to one or more of your signees to ensure they were aware of the verbal agreement they made with you.
Upon approval, you will be notified by Admin via Discord DM and the election process will begin! If the office of Sheriff is empty in your chosen jurisdiction and you are running unopposed, you will automatically win and be considered sworn in.
Note: There is a 1-month period between elections per town. If this period is in effect when your application is approved, you will be provided a specific date on which you may begin campaigning.
Step 5: Election
Election Event Procedure:
1) Jurisdiction is Election Eligible: to be announced 30 days after Sheriff is elected
– Current Sheriff:
– Application can now be submitted and campaigning can begin.
2) Campaign Season: Announce deadline for applications.
– Upon receiving the first approved application for an eligible jurisdiction, announce 48 hours deadline for additional applicants.
– Election to be scheduled 1 – 2 weeks from this day.
– Maximum number of candidates: 3
– first come first serve
3) Debate: Announce date, time, place of Debate.
– 48 to 72 hours after candidates are finalized, debate will be scheduled in sheriff-elections
– when2meet.com for planning
– If there is no time when all candidates are available, a separate even can be made for the odd person out.
Audience | 25
Marshals (for security) | 2
4) Voting: Create poll with all candidates (via sesh bot)
– 24 hours after debate
– 48 hour duration